Thursday, November 19, 2009

Trying to Stop the Binge Drinking

Still cannot fix the hyperlinking issues. There has to be an embedded problem on my blogger account I can't see. It will absolutely not work for me I am sorry!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/sports/ncaafootball/19drunk.html?_r=1&ref=education

Attempts at Cutting Down Binge Drinking on Campus

A couple of college campuses are now implementing ways of trying to curb underage and young adult drinking on football game days. Several colleges in the northern states are now making students complete a BAC check before entering stadiums. They are attempting to target individuals who habitually drink, go to games and get ejected for unruly behavior. In affect, these students are entered into a program where a counselor attempts to help them with their alcohol problems early. I see this as a good program and think it would be a wonderful idea at college campuses all over the country. I sometimes look at my friend's Facebook pages and see pictures of tailgating where they were drinking underage and looking very stupid. The idea that you have to be 21 to drink is not taking seriously anymore amongst the students, parents, or organizations who operate major events like these. I have been to concerts where kids that barely look 18 have magaritas and beer and are plumb drunk with parents and the like. Alcohol is not a laughing matter. Now I believe an individual over 21 is entitled to make their own decisions about alcohol, suffering consequences or not. But someone under 21, because it IS illegal, should absolutely not be allowed to consume alcohol. Most people probably are soft on this idea and they think, I did it in high school or college, so my kid probaly will do it, they just need to be safe. Minors' judgements are off already so why make them even more off? A lot of my friends ruined their college experiences because much of it was spent in a drunken stupor. Friends who were smarter than me flunked out of schools like UGA because of too much partying at 18, 19, and 20. Some are still in school, others work at dead end jobs now. It has a bad tricle down effect no one likes to look at. Again, I say I believe there is nothing wrong with someone over 21 drinking, but under 21 seems just to be wasting your brain and life away just to feel good or relaxed. Teen death rates are at an all time high with so many car accidents and othe things, they need to be protected. The people interviewed for the article seem either pessimistic or optomistic about the new programs. Those who think it won't work are probaly under the impression that college students will do as they please regardless of the regulations whereas those who believe that it will work know they may be able to reach some people before they die of alcohol poisoning or something in the likes. I wonder what everyone thinks about this article and the view that college students may be drinking too much?

1 comment:

  1. Cory,

    I think you make a valid point about underage drinking. I believe people who sell alcohol to underage drinkers, parents who allow underage drinking to occur should be punished as well as those who do drink underage. However, I am against banning all alcohol at sporting events. I think that it's a fun and relaxing way to watch a game. However, it must be done responsibly. I'm over 21 and I would be extremely upset if I was not allowed into a stadium because I had some beers.

    ReplyDelete