Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Killing the College Student with Fees

College Tuition Up Sharply Amid Recession

In this article, Justin Pope provides some great insight and staggering numbers on the rising costs of tuition in the country. The average tuition in the country is now at about $7,000 per year at a 4-year public college, up over 6% from last year despite the economy. Costs are constantly on the rise despite all of the cuts in funding and all of the budget cuts colleges are making to deal with the economy. Despite this number, they say actual incurred costs are only about $1,600 for a 4 year student per year. I would like to know where they are getting that amount from. I am thankfully and gratefully lucky that Georgia has the HOPE scholarship and I was only "forced" to take out about $9,000 in student loans over the 4 and a half year period I was in school. Much of that went to living expenses though and had nothing to do with the college. There is a much greater underlying problem with the public education system though, that they will not speak of. Teachers, professors, researchers, deans, presidents, and so on are getting so filthy rich from the public colleges it is sickening. Just check out Open Georgia. On this site you can find all of the salaries for state/public employees for the entire state of Georgia. I attended Georgia State University and at this DI-AA (D one double a) school, there are over 40 people making over $200,000 a year. These people rarely even see a student, they simply preside over the school. Now I am not belittling their jobs, because it is important to run a school to the best of its ability and be competitive with other schools in the state and the country. But for purposes of serving the state and the educational system, why should they make so much money?! Why are they entitled, being employees of the Georgia government, to make more than our Governor (who made $137,000 in base salary in 2008)? Because it is deemed important? Why am I making so little to teach 700 kids a year and the president of GSU receives over $400,000 to preside over a college? At UGA (University of Georgia) there are over 100 people making over $200,000 a year. Why did fees go up? Because people higher up refused to take part in cost cutting measures. I am sure that they took like a 1% pay cut or are now working 10 less days a year now than they did last year, but how in the world can you justify so much money being spent on a salary at a government entity? It is a waste of funds. I would say that if everyone making over $200,000/year was to give up between 30 and 40,000 of their salary, which would equal what regular teachers have had to forfeit due to stae mandated furloughs to balance the ill begotten state budget, our cost to enroll would not go up. During my stint at GSU, the cost for me to attend 4 or 5 classes a semester went up over $1,000. My first year in 2004 it cost only $1600 for full time tuition plus about $250 in fees. By December of 2008 it would have cost me $2900 for full time tuition without fees. Luckily I only needed 2 or 3 classes so I paid for part-time. Again, the HOPE grant payed for most of it, but that is still from a state-funded program through lottery ticket sales. Today, students are having to pay so much more for so little education. I was baffled by the costs of some master's programs. I am extremely excited to be a part of VCSU, not only because of the Tech Ed program, but because it is affordable. UGA, Ga Tech, Va Tech, and even Purdue wanted in excess of $25,000 per year for their master's programs. And for what? A piece of paper that says I completed a rigorous program and forked out almost $60,000 for a $10,000/year raise? I believe the term for what we are trying to do today is, "Work smarter, not harder". I do not want to be in debt for my education for the rest of my life, I will find what works at a better price. The material and knowledge I have gained here at VCSU far out ranks the opportunity I could have had to call myself a UGA graduate.

4 comments:

  1. Cory,

    I agree that tuition costs are sky-rocketing around the country but fortunately, high quality education intuitions such as VCSU, still know the value of education and not the value of giving our right kidney in order to receive a piece of paper saying that we attended college. I went to VCSU for my undergrad and because of the kind of education I received, this is why I wanted to go nowhere else by here for my graduate work. I didn't even look anywhere else.

    As for your thoughts about the salaries of those in administrative positions, I agree that someone needs to be responsible for running a college or university but do we really need more than 100 people, as you say, making $200,000 plus dollars? It's pretty sad when the Georgia governor isn't even making that much money.

    Good post! However, can I make a suggestion? Parts of your post are difficult to read because of the color of the words. Would you consider using either a different background or different colors of your font? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cory,

    Your blog about the cost of higher ed is dead on. I can't even image why State Boards of Higher Ed or even the collge's board of regents think that certain individuals are worth so much money. I can understand if it is a medical school and you need doctors to teach students but it seems from your post that most of those people are adminstrators. Trust me, ND has some huge problems in this area too. Now as far at the tution cost I feel for this next generation. The economy is slow and the schools are not giving the students in most states a break. In ND we had a buget surplus so our tuition is on a freeze for 2 years. This is not happening in GA. I know when I went to Nebraska (Go Big Red) our tution went up two year in a row. I left with some nice student loans. Is this really the situtation we want all the students to be in? I mean loans are a part of life but they should not be so huge that students won't attend higher ed. I think in the future the higher ed system is going to get a backlash from the public about these high salaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cory,

    I am glad you blogged about this because I have been meaning to for weeks now. I am sickened by the seemingly exponential rise in the cost of education in this country. It is important to note that not only are colleges increasing in price, but private elementary, middle and high schools are also becoming unaffordable. Unlike you I had to take out loans throughout my undergraduate degree and I ended up 20,000 in debt after my four years were up. I am not going to complain about that because you can't even buy a new Ford Tempo for that!! But still, think of all of the people who would do great in college that are not going to go because of the continued increase in costs. Even though there are loans out there, the interest rates are increasing and with the job market as it is, why would a sane person want to rack up a bunch of debt with a slim chance of finding a job after graduation?

    As for professor salaries, at Montana State University the average professor makes somewhere around $40,000 per year. Now, some make significantly more than that but that is because they bring big money to the university in the form of grants and other federal dollars for research. $40,000 is not a great salary considering that half of the teachers in my building are pulling that in. If teacher salaries are low, why are costs increasing? Are utilities more expensive? Not nearly enough so to explain the increase. Are taxes rising? No, actually they are falling in Montana. Are schools spending more money on improvements and recruitment? Not that I have seen. With that in mind, where is the money going? Hopefully it is going to scholarships for worthy students and student-athletes because I would go ballistic to find out that administration are getting pay raises....

    cheers,
    ct

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's discouraging to read how large a gap there is between administrator's and teacher's salaries. I agree that $200,000 is excessive, especially for a public school. I have been attending college open houses with my son and I have been trying to figure out why the costs are rising so quickly. Schools brag about being more energy efficient, recycling, and other cost saving measures but the fees are mounting. Your blog points out one cause.

    I feel there is a problem with public employee salaries in general. I don't know of any other business that increases salaries based solely on longevity.

    ReplyDelete